Alaska FNAWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Horns

Go down

Long Horns Empty Long Horns

Post  kaboku68 Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:11 am

It is raining outside and I am going to have to hunt in it in about two hours for prep work. I was thinking about Jack Wilson today and his belief in Long Horns.
Jack Wilson used to have an interesting theory about the largest rams that came from Chitina Glacier Country.
He used to get a look like he was lost in thought and then he would talk about them.
Long Horns were Dall Rams that were longer in body and had thinner limbs. They stayed right near the snowline year around. They would be at about 6000-7000 ft in elevation. The horns of this type specium of dall was longer and carried more mass.
Jack had Frank Hibben who was an Anthropologist and Big Game hunter on a trip and they took a Long Horn. Hibben measured the sheep and it was longer and bigger than a traditional Dall.

People have noted that different drainages tend to produce rams that have similar horn configurations. Before I go further I should add that rams from different areas can have variations in horns style.
Chugach= Deep Curl with heavy bases. Some have droopy type horns. Cook Ram, Lentfer Ram, Russ Ram.
Wrangells-Flaring Hornings that have a great spread. Swank Ram and ton of others. There is a variation in the South Wrangells that is super massive and extremely rare that sometimes gets taken. Terry Speerstad and Russell Scribner Jr. both took this kind of sheep.
Alaska Range= Flaring and sometimes Argali style. Phantom Ram by Craig Gardner and Johnson-Brennan Ram
Talkeetna=Flaring with a kind of triangle shape.
Brooks Range= Flaring with smaller bases. Sometimes Argali type are taken here as well. Webb Ram.
Kenai= Middle of the road flare.
Tanana White Mountains= Between Wrangell and Chugach type.

I am wondering if any body has any comments on this.

Sincerely,

Thomas

kaboku68

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum