Alaska FNAWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear

Go down

Gear Empty Gear

Post  kaboku68 Wed May 28, 2008 7:09 pm

This forum needs stuff so I am going to start with my views on gear. I will work on what is most important and what you should build up over time.

1) Boots- This is the most important piece of gear a sheephunter needs to buy. Buy the very best. There are four brands that fly and these are leather, gortex with rubber rands. Plastic is another area and we might get there on another post.
1) Hanawags- Built in Germany. Rated to be the best by the Germans. They are available at Lathrop and Sons for a fortune. Try 750 dollars for the boots and footbeds. You can buy them cheaper in Canada and have them imported.
2) Lowa Sheephunter GTX- These are also made in Germany. They are highly rated and people buy them at Shoebuy.com or Zappos.com on sale. Beaver Sports has them. I think Barney's has them as well.
3) Kennetreks- These are new. I saw them at SW and they look good. The jury is out on them but a lot of people are excited about them.
4) Cabela's Meindls- These are the old standbys and I have two pairs of these. One is 13 years old and the others are 8 years old. I have denali hunters which have worked great for me.

2) Optics- Binoculars-
1) Leica- IF you can afford them. Leica have the best reputation for toughness and clarity.
2) Zeiss FLs- Very awesome glass. These are excellent binoculars.
3) Swarovskis- They are also very clear. They have better visual acuity for me than the other big three but many report them fogging up.
Second Tier-
1) HG Minox- Very good Binoculars for the money.
2) Nikon SE Porros- These are up with the top for performance but they are not waterproof.
3) Bushnell Elites-There have been sales on these. I run a pair of 8X43 Elites.
4) Pentax- Some are crazy about the best quality Pentax.
5) Leupold Gold Rings- They are on sale in Cabelas.
Third Tier-
1) Nikon ATBs- A great glass for price.
2) Vortex Vipers- They compete with top of second tier for third tier price.
3) Steiner Porros- These aren't bad and they won't break.

While you jump into sheep hunting go with 3rd tier first unless you are wealthy.

Spotters-
Most everybody goes with Nikon Prostaff or Bushnell elites during start. They are compact and good enough for determination of full curl status which is important these days.

Sleeping Bag- This is the most important piece of the survival equation. A sleeping bag can keep you alive if it gets really bad so don't short change this piece of equipment. Buy the best sleeping bag that you can.
Go synthetic until you have been up in the mountains for a couple of years.

1) Wiggy's Bags- Some love them and some hate them but they are a good place to start.
2) North Face Cat's Meow- Many love this bag as well.
3) Integral Designs- North Twin or Rennasaince- Excellent bags(they cost more but they perform).

Tent- This is less important than the sleeping bag but really put some thought into this piece of gear as well.
A Eureka tent or a Coleman tent will work but they can get trashed in the mountains as well. Get at least a three season+ tent. I run a mountaineering singlewall tent but that is because of a storm that darned near blew me off the mountain. You need a super tent if you plan to hunt the last part of the season. A good tent for the first part.
Top Tier
1) Hilleberg Tunnel Tents- Pricey but every body loves them.
2) Bibler Tents- I run an eldorado. I really like it but they set up weird.
3) North Face VE25- An old standard but its a little heavy.
4) Mountain Hardware Trango 2- A good jump into top tiered tents.

Second Tier-
1) MSR-Hubba Hubba- Some like these others hate them.
2) Sierra Designs Tents- They are light but they can get hammered too.
3) Eureka Fifth Season- Its the best tent they have made.

Third Tier-
1) Eureka Timberline- A frame boy scout tent. It will work.
2) Coleman Exponent- This tent will work as well but not as comfortable.
3) Fred Meyers / Wally World Special- Only for very earliest part of season and you probably will be miserable.

Stoves- The third important thing to get is a very good stove system.
1) Jet Boils- They are awesome but the lighters are delicate on them.
2) MSR Reactors- New but good reviews on them. They are harder to find.
3) MSR Whisperlites- They work great but be sure to learn how to run them and maintain them before you go into the mountains.
4) Coleman Dual fuel- These really aren't bad stove but they can spill.
5) MSR Pocket Rockets- These are fuel cannister stoves but they work very well.

The other equipment things and thoughts on Mountain Rifles for sheep will be found in later posts.
Sincerely,

Thomas

kaboku68

Back to top Go down