Alaska FNAWS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear Part 2

Go down

Gear Part 2 Empty Gear Part 2

Post  kaboku68 Thu May 29, 2008 4:15 am

Well lets continue.

1) packs.
The eternal battle of titans.... internal vs. external frame packs.

Internal frames....
Really if you are a starting backpack hunter a large internal frame pack that you use alot is very handy.
1) Arcteryx Bora- Canandian. Expensive but very nice.
2) Osprey Argon- Custom fitted to your hips.
3) McHale Customs- This is like a the rolls royce of packs and can cost a cool $1000 with bells and whistles. They are legendary but made of unobtainium.
4)Marmot Astralplane- This used to be Dana Designs but now is made in China. A good big pack.

External Frames....
1)Barney's Pinnacle- This is the guide workhorse. They work great but are expensive.
2) Mystery Ranch Crew Cab Nice with bag. This is also a work hog. You can just by the frame for 250.00 and lash a dry bag to it.
3) Kifaru Longhunter- This is a great pack but about $600 now. They are very good.

I run a K2 Dana Design Long bed external frame. I like it a lot.

I also ran Contour iv internal frame packs for several years. It also worked well.

When you are ready to buy check it out by putting 200 lbs of weight it and climb up stairs and see how it fits on you.

Camppads.

I found out that Crazy Creek folding chairs work great are cheaper than thermarest and are plenty warm. You can use them for spotting afterwards.

I also use closed blue foam pads. They are light and work great. I sleep warm though so some people might get cold with my methods.

Raingear- I like Goretex Paclite jacket and arctic fleece pants. I have one set of vinyl rain paints but I haven't ponied up for the Sporthill 3sp pants,
Helly Hansen gear works well too.

Ski or Trekking poles. These are awesome for speeding up your backcountry travel times and can also help you in glacial talus, rockfields, glaciers and snowfields. They give you four contact points rather than two.
I like them better than ice axes which I have also used.

Parachute Cord- Duct Tape- Electrical Tape- and superglue.
They seem to always be used for fixing stuff and solving problems.

Topographic maps- These are good and you can waterproof them or use shelving paper for waterproofing them.

First aid kit- bee sting kit- pain relievers- simple antibiotic cream- moleskin(XXX)- small container of gold bond powder- thin fishing line for floss- athletic tape- cough drops(great emergency firestarter if necessary)- imodium AD in packet- pepto in packet-bug dope-

Leave at home- crampons/gaiters/heavy tripod(unless you fly-in)/too many clothes(1 set should be enough)
cotton(except baseball cap or carhart pants(which work ok))

3 pairs of good underwear.
3 pairs of smartwool expedition socks.
1 pair of homemade wool arcrylic blend socks.
1 Lycra rash guard shirt as undershirt
1 patagonia fleece synchilla jacket
1 good watch cap.
1 good petzl or Princeton Tec Headlamp
3 cheap bic lighters
1 game bag
1lb of salt for cape.

1 good book and one small journal for rainout or stormout days.

Electrojunk- GPS/ Laser rangefinder/ SPOT/ Digital Camera/

Sincerely
Thomas

kaboku68

Back to top Go down